- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
The Macau Government Tourist Office (MGTO) is well managed.
Macau Government Tourist Office (335-341, Alameda Dr. Carlos d'Assumpção, Macau. 853/2833-3000 in Macau; 8238-8680 in Hong Kong. www.macautourism.gov.mo. The Centre Mark, 11th fl., 287-299 Queen's Rd. Central, Central, Hong Kong. 8238-8680. www.macautourism.gov.mo.)
To enter Macau, Americans, Canadians, and EU citizens need only a valid passport for stays of up to 90 days.
The Macanese pataca (MOP) has a fixed exchange rate of MOP$1.032 to HK$1 and roughly MOP$7 to US$1. Patacas come in 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, and 1,000 MOP banknotes plus 1, 5, and 10 MOP coins. A pataca is divided into 100 avos, which come in 10-, 20-, and 50-avo coins. Hong Kong dollars are accepted in Macau on a 1:1 basis.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $96 -- Beijing: 4-Star Hotel Downtown into Summer, 25% Off Mercure Beijing Downtown
- $2299 -- China: 11-Night Vacation w/Air & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Ageless China IExplore
- $1249 -- China: 3-City, 8-Nt. Vacation w/Air, $1400 Off — $1,249 Affordable Asia
- Cosmopolitan Hong Kong — $3,350 IExplore