- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Fodor's Hong Kong
Ching Chung Koon Taoist Temple
Ching Chung Koon Taoist Temple Review
Adjacent to the Ching Chung LRT station near the town of Tuen Mun, this temple has room after room of altars filled with the heady scent of incense. On one side of the main entrance is a cast-iron bell with a circumference of about 5 feet—all large monasteries in ancient China rang such bells at daybreak to wake the monks and nuns for a day of work in the rice fields. On the other side of the entrance is a huge drum that was used to call the workers back in the evening. Inside, some rooms are papered with small pictures; people pay the temple to have these photos displayed so they can see their dearly departed as they pray. Colorful plants and flowers, hundreds of dwarf shrubs, ornamental fishponds, and pagodas bedeck the grounds. The temple's entrance isn't obvious, so ask for directions.
- Address: Tuen Mun, New Territories, Hong Kong
- Phone: 2462–1507
- Website: www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/attractions/nt-chingchungkoon.html
- Metro Siu Hong, Exit B.
- Location: The New Territories
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
With hot temperatures and sometimes poor air quality, visiting Beijing during the summer months can sometimes be miserable.
However, during our visit we were fortunate to have nice weather as we head from Read more
A short Beijing Metro ride and we surface in search of our destination to experience some more of for us amazing Beijing. Read more
My husband will be in Shanghai for a week and I would like him to bring something back.
I'm female, almost 65 and wonder what they have that you can't find here - . Not sure what's on people's shopping Read more
· News & Features
A member of the Design Hotels group, the new Mira Moon hotel flaunts cutting-edge design in Hong Kong's ... Read more
Come for the art and the views, but stay for the fantastic food, strong drinks, and swanky stays.... Read more
Behind Hong Kong's towering skyline skyscrapers is a world of unique, diverse downtown enclaves, from... Read more