- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Manic development is changing Lantau, but the island is still known as the "lungs of Hong Kong" because of the abundant forests, relative dearth of skyscrapers, and laid-back attractions—beaches, fishing villages, and hiking trails. At Ngong Ping, a mini-theme park keeps the island's most famous sight, the Giant Buddha, company. Not to be outdone, Disney has opened a park and resort on the northeast coast, near the airport. At 142 square km (55 square miles), Lantau is almost twice the size of Hong Kong Island, so there's room for all this development, and the island remains a welcome green getaway.
Lantau Island at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's