- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Prices are negotiable everywhere except supermarkets. Do not accept prices quoted in foreign currency, and never pay more than you think the article is really worth. Tourist markups can hit 1,000% in major attractions. Don't be afraid to shout "Tai gui le!" ("too expensive"), laugh at the seller, and walk away. He or she will probably call you back with a better price.
China is not a tipping country; however, tips constitute the majority of a tour guide's income.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe