- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Prices are negotiable everywhere except supermarkets. Do not accept prices quoted in foreign currency, and never pay more than you think the article is really worth. Tourist markups can hit 1,000% in major attractions. Don't be afraid to shout "Tai gui le!" ("too expensive"), laugh at the seller, and walk away. He or she will probably call you back with a better price.
China is not a tipping country; however, tips constitute the majority of a tour guide's income.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Hangzhou Fr $48+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3.5-Star Culture Plaza Zhejiang Fr $59+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Huachen International 3 Nts in May Fr $68+/Nt — $68 Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Hangzhou this May Fr $28+/Nt — $28 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Hangzhou Fr $69+/Nt — $69 Save with Expedia, $11/night less