- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Xicheng District Top 5
1. Sipping coffee or an evening cocktail lakeside at Houhai or on one of the rooftop restaurants or bars overlooking the lake.
2. Exploring Houhai's well-preserved hutongs and historical sites by pedicab or bicycle.
3. Skating on Houhai Lake in winter or, in the warmer months, taking an evening boat tour of the lake. Dine onboard on barbecued lamb provided by
Kaorouji. Kaorouji, an old lakeside restaurant specializing in Chinese-style barbecue. Romantics, take note: you'll be serenaded by your own personal pipa (four-stringed lute) musician. 14 Qianhai Dongyan, just southeast of the Silver Ingot Bridge, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100009. 010/6404–2554.
4. Wandering the hills and temples of historic Beihai Park. In the evening, eat the way the emperors did with an imperial banquet at Fangshan Restaurant in the park.
5. Shopping for great gifts and snazzy clothes on the cheap at Xidan.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe