- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Side Trips from Beijing
Not only is Beijing a fascinating city to visit, but its outskirts are packed with history- and culture-laden sites for the admirer of early empires and their antiquities. First and foremost, a trip to the Great Wall is a must—you simply can't miss it!
After the Great Wall, there are a variety of wonderful things to do and see: you can go horseback riding at Yesanpo, or take a dip at the beach and gorge yourself with fresh seafood in Beidaihe.
Buddhist temples and ancient tombs, as well as historical bridges and anthropological digs, are all located within a few hours of Beijing. For all these sites, getting there is half the fun—traveling through rural China, even for a day trip, is always something of an adventure.
Side Trips from Beijing at a Glance
Experience Side Trips from Beijing
- Eastern Qing Tombs (Qingdonglíng)
- Fahai Temple (Fahai sì)
- Great Wall at Badaling
- Great Wall at Jinshanling
- Great Wall at Juyongguan
- Great Wall at Mutianyu
- Jietai Temple (Jiètái sì)
Elsewhere in Beijing
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $96 -- Beijing: 4-Star Hotel Downtown into Summer, 25% Off Mercure Beijing Downtown