- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Shan Li Retreats
At a Glance
- a truly bucolic escape from the city
- good hikes nearby
- beautifully restored village homes
- a car is required to get there
- guests need to take their own food
- not open all year round
Check Rates from our Partners
Shan Li Retreats Review
Sometimes you need to get out of the city, and that's especially true for those living in China's capital, constantly crowded by 20 million other such souls. Here to help you escape is Shan Li Retreats, lovingly created by Beijing-based designer Naersu, which are five village houses that have been renovated into gloriously beautiful rental properties (think old wooden beams and traditional kang-style beds mixed with subtle modern touches) all nestled among the mountains and valleys of Huangyankou village (120 km from the city), next to crumbling Great Wall watchtowers on the hill above. Larger groups will want to go for "Po Shang," a two-story, three-bedroom home, complete with fireplace, bathtubs, iPod stereo, private garden, and two outdoor terraces. Couples may prefer to opt for a room in "Stone House" (rather than renting a whole home), an old barn now converted into smaller one-bedroom studios.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
With hot temperatures and sometimes poor air quality, visiting Beijing during the summer months can sometimes be miserable.
However, during our visit we were fortunate to have nice weather as we head from Read more
A short Beijing Metro ride and we surface in search of our destination to experience some more of for us amazing Beijing. Read more
My husband will be in Shanghai for a week and I would like him to bring something back.
I'm female, almost 65 and wonder what they have that you can't find here - . Not sure what's on people's shopping Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more