- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Grandma's Place (Schoolhouse Hotels) (Nǎinaijiā)
At a Glance
- a wonderfully rustic getaway with modern comforts
- views of the Great Wall
- The Schoolhouse restaurant is nearby
- guests need a car to reach the property
- no hotel services
- outside of Beijing
Check Rates from our Partners
Grandma's Place (Schoolhouse Hotels) (Nǎinaijiā) Review
This two-bedroom rental cottage is part of a project by Jim Spears, a long-term resident of Mutianyu, called Schoolhouse Hotels, which offers gorgeous self-catering stays in remote villages around the Great Wall; Grandma's Place is the pick of the bunch, created using stones salvaged from Ming and Qing Dynasty structures, as well as massive beams from an old village house, featuring a cosy, traditional kang—a brick bed heated from beneath—and a very private fruit garden and terrace that provides jaw-dropping views of the Great Wall. There are two bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, wireless broadband, a kitchen, and laundry facilities.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
With hot temperatures and sometimes poor air quality, visiting Beijing during the summer months can sometimes be miserable.
However, during our visit we were fortunate to have nice weather as we head from Read more
A short Beijing Metro ride and we surface in search of our destination to experience some more of for us amazing Beijing. Read more
I'm doing a group tour in Nepal/Tibet later this year, and will have some free time both in Kathmandu and Lhasa before and after my trip.
I was hoping someone could recommend a good day-guide. I did a Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots ... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more