- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Grandma's Place (Schoolhouse Hotels) (Nǎinaijiā)
At a Glance
- a wonderfully rustic getaway with modern comforts
- views of the Great Wall
- The Schoolhouse restaurant is nearby
- guests need a car to reach the property
- no hotel services
- outside of Beijing
Check Rates from our Partners
Grandma's Place (Schoolhouse Hotels) (Nǎinaijiā) Review
This two-bedroom rental cottage is part of a project by Jim Spears, a long-term resident of Mutianyu, called Schoolhouse Hotels, which offers gorgeous self-catering stays in remote villages around the Great Wall; Grandma's Place is the pick of the bunch, created using stones salvaged from Ming and Qing Dynasty structures, as well as massive beams from an old village house, featuring a cosy, traditional kang—a brick bed heated from beneath—and a very private fruit garden and terrace that provides jaw-dropping views of the Great Wall. There are two bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, wireless broadband, a kitchen, and laundry facilities.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
With hot temperatures and sometimes poor air quality, visiting Beijing during the summer months can sometimes be miserable.
However, during our visit we were fortunate to have nice weather as we head from Read more
A short Beijing Metro ride and we surface in search of our destination to experience some more of for us amazing Beijing. Read more
I'm a young female professional travelling through China on my own this June 1-15th.
I will be coming either from Chang Mai (Thailand) or Hanoi (Veitnam).
I want to do a combination of adventure Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more