- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Shaguo Ju (Shāguō jū)
Shaguo Ju (Shāguō jū) Review
Established in 1741, Shaguo Ju serves a simple Manchu favorite—bairou, or white-meat pork, which first became popular 300 years ago. The first menu pages list all the dishes cooked in the shaguo (the Chinese term for a casserole pot). The classic shaguo bairou consists of strips of pork neatly lined up, concealing bok choy and glass noodles below. Shaguo Ju emerged as a result of ceremonies held by imperial officials and wealthy Manchus in the Qing Dynasty, which included sacrificial offerings of whole pigs. The meat offerings were later given away to the nightwatch guards, who shared the "gifts" with friends and relatives. Such gatherings gradually turned into a small business, and white meat became very popular.
- Address: 60 Xisi Nan Dajie, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100034
- Phone: 010/6602–1126
- Metro Xidan.
- Location: Xicheng District
- No credit cards.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
In all the years traveling to China, we missed the UNESCO World Heritage Site Huangshan (sister national park of the US Yosemite Park) until we no longer have the stamina to climb up to the top of the peaks. Read more
The new one post with opinions and recommendations on Lijiang
http://chinainmyhands2013.blogspot.com/2013/09/magical-lijiang.html Read more
My partner's father works in China and gets a lot of air miles through his job, so we may have the opportunity to visit next year. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more