- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
A Good Tour
Haidian may be Beijing's technology and university district, but there's a lot of Old Beijing left here. Before you leave your hotel, ask for a boxed lunch (or grab some food at a nearby supermarket). Jump in a cab and head for the Summer Palace. Saunter around the lakes and ancient pavilions, and finally settle down somewhere secluded to enjoy a picnic.
When you're done with lunch and sightseeing, hop a cab to Hailong Shopping Mall. Go in and explore—the five-story shopping mall has every kind of computer or electronic device you could possibly want, often at deep discounts. Be careful when buying software, though, as most of it is pirated and illegal to bring back to the United States.
After you've shopped and you're ready to drop, head over to the Wudaokou Binguan for a selection of wonderful "snacks" that usually add up to a great dinner, and don't miss the zhapi, or mugs of fresh-from-the-tap beer. Taxi it on home in the wee hours.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe