- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
On the northern tip of the Bohai Coast, Shanhaiguan is the end of the road for the Great Wall. After 8,850 km (5,500 miles), the massive structure plunges into the sea. During the Ming Dynasty, Shanhaiguan was fortified to prevent hordes of mounted Manchurian warriors from pushing to the south. Now local tourists swarm the town during the summer. An impressive wall still surrounds what was the old town, sadly razed in 2007 and rebuilt as a "historic" tourist area.
Shanhaiguan at a Glance
- First Gate Under Heaven (Tīanxià dìyīguān)
- Great Wall Museum (Chángchéng bówùguǎn)
- Jiaoshan Great Wall (Jiāoshān chángchéng)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's