- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Tunxi, also called Huangshan City, is the gateway to the Yellow Mountain area. Apart from being a transportation hub, Tunxi also has a charming strip of shops and restaurants and is a convenient place from which to take trips to Shexian and Yixian counties, famous for their historical architecture.
Side Trip to Shexian County
Shexian County has been called a living architectural art museum because of its natural beauty and array of historic buildings. Over the centuries, it has inspired philosophers, poets, and painters. Today, there is no lack of tourists but it's a pleasant day trip from Tunxi.
Side Trip to Yixian County
A pleasant day trip from Tunxi, Yixian County is the site of some beautiful ancient architecture set in peaceful surroundings. Don't expect a quiet day with the village to yourself; Yixian County receives nearly 2.5 million visits per year. But don't let that deter you: the UNESCO World Heritage sites in the area offer a rare glimpse of what ancient Anhui may have been like and are stunningly photogenic.
Tunxi at a Glance
- Hongcun Village (Hóng cūn)
- Huashan Mysterious Grottoes (Huàshān míkū)
- Huizhou Old Town (Huìzhōu lăochéng)
- Memorial Arches (Tángyuè páilouqún)
Elsewhere in Anhui
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe