- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Eastern China's most rural province, Anhui has a rugged terrain that forces families to fight their hardscrabble farmland for every acre of harvest. Today it remains significantly poorer than its neighbors, with an average income half that of neighboring Zhejiang, a successful manufacturing hub. But what Anhui lacks in material wealth it makes up for in splendid natural landscape. Travelers here enjoy countryside largely untouched by the last century. Near Huangshan (Yellow Mountain), towering granite peaks loom over green fields, and round-shouldered water buffalo plow the flooded rice paddies.
The foothills of Huangshan have a remarkable wealth of historical architecture. Tiny communities dot the landscape in Shexian and Yixian counties. Many of these villages were far enough out of the way that even the Cultural Revolution’s zealous Red Guards left them alone. Today, though increasingly visited by tourists, whole villages retain their original architecture, and in some cases, generations of inhabitants.
Anhui boasts significant contributions to Chinese civilization. The province produces both the paper and ink most favored for Chinese calligraphy. Hui opera, an ancient musical form developed in the province, was a major influence on Beijing Opera. Hui cuisine is included among China’s great culinary traditions, making use of mountain vegetables and herbs, with many stewed and braised dishes.
Most of the province's highlights lie in the south, accessible from Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Nanjing.
Anhui at a Glance
- Cloud Valley Temple Cable Car Station (Yúngǔsì suǒdào)
- Hongcun Village (Hóng cūn)
- Huangshan (Huángshān)
- Huashan Mysterious Grottoes (Huàshān míkū)
- Huizhou Old Town (Huìzhōu lăochéng)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's