- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The road to Phnom Penh was upgraded several years ago, but some tourists still prefer the six-hour boat trip on the Tonle Sap. High-speed ferries, or "bullet boats," depart from Phnom Penh for Siem Reap daily.
A daily boat travels from Battambang to Siem Reap (5 to 10 hours; $20) on the Tonle Sap. In the dry season, the water level on the Tonle Sap is often low. Passengers may be required to switch boats, or boats might get stuck in the lake, a long ordeal.
Boats arrive at the ferry port at Chong Khneas, 12 km (7½ miles) south of Siem Reap.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe