- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Siem Reap, which means "Siam defeated," based on a 15th-century battle with Cambodia's neighbors to the west, has emerged as a modern, friendly and elegantly low-key city with highly sophisticated shopping, dining, and nightlife options. After a long day at the temples you'll be happy to spend your evening strolling along the Siem Reap River, and dining at an outdoor table on a back alley in the hip old French quarter or Alley West off the more boisterous Pub Street, which is closed to traffic in the evening.
The Old Market area is a big draw and the perfect place to shop for souvenirs; dig through the silk, wood and silver ornaments and accessories and you may find your treasure. Many of the colonial buildings in the area were destroyed during the Khmer Rouge years, but many others have been restored and turned into world-class resorts and restaurants.
You could spend an entire afternoon in the Old Market area, wandering from shop to shop, café to café, gallery to gallery. It changes every month, with ever more delights in store. Long gone are the days when high-end souvenirs (the legal kind) came from Thailand. Today numerous shops offer high-quality Cambodian silks, Kampot pepper and other Cambodian spices, and herbal soaps and toiletries made from natural Cambodian products.
Siem Reap at a Glance
- Angkor Village Hotel
- Angkor Village Resort
- Borann, l'Auberge des Temples
- FCC Angkor Hotel
- Golden Banana Boutique Hotel and B&B
- Heritage Suites Hotel
- Ivy Guesthouse & Bar
Elsewhere in Cambodia
- Angkor Temple Complex
- Kampong Cham
- Koh Dach
- Kompong Thom Ruins
- Kulen Mountain
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe