- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cambodia's third-largest city was also an ancient Khmer center of culture and power on the Mekong River, and it has a pre-Angkorian temple, Wat Nokor. (Sadly, the temple itself is in a state of disrepair and the $2 entry fee unmerited.) Just outside town are the twin temple-topped hills, Phnom Pros and Phnom Srei (included in the price). Ask a local guide to explain the interesting legend surrounding their creation. In the ecotourism village of Cheungkok, about 5 km (3 miles) south of town, you can see silk-making, carving, and other traditional crafts in progress and also buy the wares directly from villagers. All profits are reinvested in the village.
Kampong Cham can be visited in a few hours, but with Cheungkok it is an all-day trip.
Elsewhere in Cambodia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's