- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hiring an Angkor Guide
A guide can greatly enrich your appreciation of Angkor's temples, which are full of details you might miss on your own. English-speaking guides can be hired through the tourism office on Pokambor Avenue, across from the Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor. But the best way to find a guide is through your hotel or guesthouse. Ask around. Most guides who work for tour companies (and the tourism office) are freelancers, and often when you book through a tour company, you'll pay a higher price. Find a young staffer at your hotel or guesthouse and tell him or her what you want—the type of tour, what you hope to learn from your guide, your particular interests in the temples.
Prices usually run around $20 a day, not including transportation, for a very well informed, English-speaking guide.
Hanuman Travel. If you feel more comfortable booking through a travel company, Hanuman Travel is an excellent choice. The expert company, which works throughout Cambodia and surrounding countries, has established a foundation to help eradicate poverty in Cambodia's hinterlands. Your tourist dollars will go toward wells, water filters, mosquito nets, and other amenities that can greatly improve a rural family's life. 12 Street 310, Sangkat Tonle Bassac, Phnom Penh. 023/218356 or 012/807657. saleshanumantourism.com. www.hanuman.travel.
Sreang Teng. Sreang Teng is a knowledgeable, English-speaking local guide for the temple complex and other sights. Siem Reap. 012/426764. angkorenglishguidegmail.com. www.angkorsiemreaptourguide.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Indochina Experience IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) IExplore
- Thailand & Cambodia Experience — $5,299 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (22-Day) — $10,250 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) — $7,995 IExplore