Istana Nurul Iman
Istana Nurul Iman Review
Often regarded as the world's largest private residential building, this royal palace 2 miles southwest of central BSB is the official home of the Sultan of Brunei. Set in extensive gardens and topped by a golden dome, it is alleged to contain 1,800 rooms. You can get an idea of its impressive size from the partially obscured views from the front gate—or by taking a boat tour along the Brunei River to the rear. Unfortunately, for 362 days a year that is as close as most normal people will get. The building only throws its doors open to the public for three days during the Hari Raya celebrations that mark the end of Ramadan and the Islamic new year. During that time, 10,000 people are welcomed inside and offered free food. If you're lucky enough to be around at that time, you will get a chance to marvel at the sumptuous decorations, and may even get a chance to meet the Sultan himself.
- Address: Bandar Seri Begawan
- Location: Bandar Seri Begawan
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We're beginning to plan a trip to Southern India for February.
We'd like to break the long economy class trip from New York to Bangalore into 2 parts.
We could also land in Mumbai, or Delhi, if one o Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more