The Empire Hotel & Country Club
At a Glance
- rooms are spacious and luxurious
- list of facilities offers something for everyone
- easy beach access
- the sheer size of the resort may be off-putting to some
- far away from BSB sights
Check Rates from our Partners
The Empire Hotel & Country Club Review
Opulence at the highest level is available at this "6-star" luxury resort on the South China Sea, around 6 miles north of downtown BSB. It is owned by the Sultan of Brunei, and was built in 2000 specifically to compete with the best hotels in the world. Even the smallest rooms here cover 600 square feet and are filled to the brim with luxurious fixtures and furnishings. The bathrooms have enough shiny marble to make a Roman emperor smile. Yet if you book in advance an 'Early Bird Special' won't cost you much more than a typical 4-star joint in many Western lands. The seemingly endless list of hotel facilities includes an 18-hole golf course, a 10-pin bowling alley, a spa and sauna, a private cinema, no less than seven restaurants, and a shopping arcade—all set in beautifully manicured gardens filled with artificial lagoons and beautiful ocean views on one side.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We're beginning to plan a trip to Southern India for February.
We'd like to break the long economy class trip from New York to Bangalore into 2 parts.
We could also land in Mumbai, or Delhi, if one o Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more