Bandar Seri Begawan
Only gaining its independence from Britain (somewhat reluctantly) in 1984, Brunei is a wealthy oil-rich state. But its capital, Bandar Seri Begawan—BSB as most people call it—is a modest place with few outward displays of wealth. Instead, it is restrained and polite, like the people who live there. There are plenty of luxury cars on its clean, wide streets, but you will see them just as often parked beside fried noodle stalls as outside glitzy restaurants. There is plenty to see here, from the fabulous main mosque to the fascinating water village. And if you want real ostentation, try the Sultan's palace—the largest and possibly most expensive private residence in the world.
Bandar Seri Begawan at a Glance
Elsewhere in Brunei
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's