Bhutan Crafts and Souvenirs
Bhutan's colorful, intricate hand-loomed textiles and a smattering of handicrafts like bamboo baskets and wood-turned bowls are among the top souvenirs. Local herbal tea (Tsheringma), honey from Bumthang, incense sticks and lemongrass spray from the local sustainable products firm, Bio Bhutan, make for great, inexpensive gifts; see if you can convince your guide to take you into a shop for locals to get a better price on these items. If you're a purist, beware that many items in tourist shops, like Buddhist trinkets, come from Nepal or China.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe