This marvelous old town has a wealth of natural beauty and a surplus of activities. It used to be the old colonial capital, but after a few decades of neglect it has recently recast itself as Zambia's tourism and adventure capital. There's a tangible whiff of the past here: historic buildings outnumber new ones, and many inhabitants live a life not unlike the one they would have experienced 100 years ago. Livingstone handles the surge of tourists with equal parts grace, confidence, African mischief, and nuisance.
Many visitors to this side of the falls opt to stay in one of the secluded safari-style lodges on the Zambezi River. The Zambian experience sprawls out along the many bends of the large river and time ticks in a very deliberate African manner.
Livingstone at a Glance
Elsewhere in Livingstone, Zambia
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe