Languages and Time Zones
Zambia has more than 70 dialects, but there are only four main languages: Lozi, Bemba, Nyanja, and Tonga. English is the official language and is widely spoken, read, and understood.
Zimbabwe's official language is English. Both Chishona, Sindebele and their various dialects are also widely spoken.
Zambia and Zimbabwe operate on CAST (Central African Standard Time), which is two hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time; it's the same as South Africa. That makes them seven hours ahead of North American eastern standard time (six hours ahead during eastern daylight saving time).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's