- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
A sleepy final stop on the road to Oman, this gorgeous town is nestled in the foothills of the Hajar Mountains. Hatta is an oasis where the fresh water allows fruits, vegetables, and acres of date palms to flourish. The town site was strategically important, as it's located at the end of one of the few easy mountain passes. Hatta was fought over and passed between Oman and Dubai, until it was firmly established that Dubai had control at the end of the 19th century. Today the 100-year-old residential quarter is being renovated, and much of its population is living in a nearby modern suburb.
In 1896 the Al-Matkoums ordered a fort built in Hatta. It and a handful of surrounding buildings have been restored under the banner Hatta Heritage Village. Each building is dedicated to a different traditional skill that was practiced by local people just a couple of generations ago. A simple family home sits alongside a potter's workshop, a blacksmith's forge, tobacco-drying sheds, a textile-dying and weaving area, and a palm factory where palm wood and palm fronds are processed into various practical items. Gurgling water that flows along a restored traditional irrigation system provides a cooling backdrop. Climb up through the village to the topmost tower for views to the east across the town and the desert. A gallery in one of the towers displays photographs of the fort during its heyday and provides written background on the border disputes. Life-size figurines with rifles kneel against the tiny lookout window, as if awaiting the enemy.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Dubai From 637 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Visit Dubai for Less: Hotels Fr $63+/Nt Travelocity
- Save at 5-Star Bab Al Shams Desert & Spa: $501 & Up in May Expedia
- Last Minute Package Sale! 4 Nts Dubai + Air Fr $1717 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $649 Expedia
It is an awesome Indian restaurant in UAE.
Our Indian food is liked by all and have awesome reviews..
This restaurant's page is also available at www.anindian.com ........
Here's some details about it:- Read more
I just returned from a trip via Emirates Air to Africa with a stopover in Dubai. Read more
Stopping over in Dubai during my trip to India, Travelling with our boys 5y and 7y. Read more
· News & Features
The United Arab Emirates may be best known for its luxury high rises and deluxe shopping malls, but look... Read more
Dubai has a monopoly on the biggest, tallest, and glitziest everything—and it's if-you-build-it-they-will-come... Read more
Swanky and indulgent, Dubai is the Middle East's hot spot, with endless entertainment, world-class shopping,... Read more