- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Al-Ahmadiya School Review
A window to the past, this school was founded by Sheikh Mohammed bin Ahmed bin Dalmouk in 1912 and operated until 1962. But today it's been renovated and the classrooms have been laid out to look like they would have in the 1920s and 1930s. Some have a formal appearance with twin desks in neat rows, and others feature life-size figures of boys sitting cross-legged on the floor around the Al-Muttawa, or religious teacher. The building's structure, especially the central courtyard, is a fine example of Islamic architecture with delicate fluted arches. One wing has an interesting collection of sepia photographs depicting several generations of the Al Maktoum family and daily scenes from Dubai during the 20th century.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Extreme heat, great national wealth, endless buildings under construction - probably gives you Dubai in a nutshell.
We stayed at the Sofitel Jameirah Beach. A nice location, about 30 minutes drive from Read more
As I recently travelled to Dubai for a couple of months, and this city is quite filled with nice places to have a drink, chill or party, I wanted to share my top 5 bars and of course wanted to Read more
In June next year my husband and myself will be travelling to Dubai for 5 days. Read more
· News & Features
The posh Polynesian-themed Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach debuted in Dubai over the summer, adding anothe ... Read more
The United Arab Emirates may be best known for its luxury high rises and deluxe shopping malls, but look... Read more
Dubai has a monopoly on the biggest, tallest, and glitziest everything—and it's if-you-build-it-they-will-come... Read more