- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Al Maktoum International Airport
Work has already begun on the Al-Maktoum International Airport at Dubai World Central, which will be the largest in the world when completed. Just inland from Jebel Ali, the airport is a $33 billion project that aims to serve 120 million passengers annually—nearly four times the number of passengers at Dubai International Airport, which experienced the highest growth in traffic in the world in 2007 and now services more than a quarter of all passenger traffic in the Middle East. In addition, Al-Maktoum International will process 12 million tons of cargo a year, three times the amount that travels through the current largest cargo airport in Memphis. The adjoining Aviation City will be the world's biggest maintenance and overhaul facility, and a business center that will handle leasing and chartering jets, with a projected 100,000 movements a year. Al-Maktoum International will be the focus of a self-contained city of residential neighborhoods, shopping malls, and recreational facilities, including a golf course and resort. Dubai World Central, a 44-square-km (17-square-mi) free zone dedicated to global import/export activities, will surround this area. It is less than 30 minutes away from the world's largest cargo port at Jebel Ali, which will allow for seamless transitions from air to sea or sea to air.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's