- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
On a huge flat expanse north of the Nad al-Sheba horse track, a small grandstand pinpoints the location of the Camel-Racing Arena. The camels speed over the course as dust billows around their feet; it's always a tight competition. Races take place on Thursday and Friday mornings during the winter, starting at sunup, and are completed by 8:30 am. An impromptu market sets up around the meets selling whatever camel owners might need. Look out for handmade blankets for a practical and inexpensive souvenir. Although not a common organized excursion, most tour companies that do custom tours can organize a trip to the camel races, and this is the route taken by most tourists; it is usually easier to book this kind of activity through the concierge at your hotel. Off Muscat Street, Dubai.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe