- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Motor Sports & Go-Karting
Motor sports are growing in Dubai with new money invested in the Dubai Autodrome in Sports City, one of the key projects of Dubailand. It already holds professional meets for two and four wheels. Taking to the wheel couldn't be easier for amateurs here, whether it be automobiles, karts, or bikes.
Dubai Autodrome, Dubai's FIA-certified, 3.34-mi racetrack, is a state-of-the-art facility designed to draw motor-sport excellence to the region. Check the Web site for professional race dates. Amateur Franchitis and Hamiltons also get to play here, with special driving days and local competitions. You can take courses in an Audi TT or RS4, a sporty Subaru, or a single-seat FIA Formula sports car. There are half-day and full-day programs. Emirates Rd., Dubailand, Dubai. 4/367-8750. www.dubaiautodrome.com.
Kartdrome, a 0.74-mile circuit, is a dedicated CIK-approved track with 17 corners, a tunnel, and a bridge to test your skills. In addition, there are floodlights for racing after dark, and the track can be shortened if the full race length is too tough. Racers are broken into two age groups, 7 to 12 years and more than 12 years. You can pay by the hour, and there are facilities for families or groups to run full-length competitions, with pit lanes for up to 24 teams. All the equipment you need is included in the rental price, but be sure to wear closed-toe shoes because you aren't allowed to race in sandals. Dubai Autodrome, Emirates Rd., Dubailand, Dubai. 4/367-8744. www.dubaiautodrome.com.
The Emirates Karting Centre is marked out among the coastal dunes close to Jebel Ali Beach. The Emirates Kart Track is a small-scale affair at 800 meters, but is good fun for an hour or so of high-speed action with karts for juniors and adults. The site has floodlights so you can race after dark. Beside the entrance to the Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa, Dubai. 4/282-7111. www.emsfuae.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Dubai From 637 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- $314 & Up: The H 5-Star Hotel in Dubai Expedia
- Visit Dubai for Less: Hotels Fr $70+/Nt Travelocity
- Last Minute Package Sale! 4 Nts Dubai + Air Fr $1717 Expedia
- Explore Middle East with MSC Cruises Fr $649 Expedia