- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Arabian Ranches Golf Course, which was designed by professional Ian Baker-Finch in association with Nicklaus Design, plies an extended route through the desert, wrapping around the dunes. The configuration places the first tee and final greens in the shadow of the clubhouse for grandstand tournament finishes. The Emirates Amateur Open is played here amongst other members-only and open tournaments. The academy has a well-lit driving range, digital swing analysis and putting, chipping, and bunker practice zones. Arabian Ranches, Emirates Rd., Dubailand, Dubai. 4/366-3000. www.arabianranchesgolfdubai.com.
The Els Club was designed by professional golfer Ernie Els, and the 7,538-yard course bears his name. Opened in January 2008, the course allows players of several abilities to play from varying tee positions. Els incorporated natural landscape elements, including sand dunes and native vegetation, into the design to allow local wildlife to thrive. Dubai Sports City, Dubailand, Dubai. 4/425-1010. www.elsclubdubai.com.
Jebel Ali Golf Resort & Spa has a 9-hole, par-36 course that sweeps alongside the sand dunes of the Jebel Ali coastline, the marina, and large salt lakes. Movable tees make it easy to extend to 18 holes, which the professionals did when competing in the Dubai Desert Classic Tournament during the 1990s. Academy facilities include a 27-hole putting green, air-conditioned swing room, and an A-Star video swing analysis system. Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa, Jebel Ali, Dubai. 4/883-6000. www.jebelali-international.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe