- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Around the Emirate
Considering the sprawling forest of construction cranes marking Dubai City, it would be easy to assume that it is only an urban development. While this is true in part, the emirate also is home to numerous natural attractions. For instance, if you take the road east, concrete will soon give way to a flat, almost featureless landscape—the northernmost tip of the Arabian Desert where acacias stand sentinel and feral camels graze.
The desert was the home of the Emirati until a few generations ago. Now it's become the Emirati playground. Local families visit to connect with their Arab roots or, in huge contrast, race across the sand in powerful 4WD vehicles. You can explore Dubai beyond the city on two legs, four legs (by camel or horse), or on four wheels. But remember, if you have a rental car it won't be insured for off-road driving—something you shouldn't do without a good map and backup water supplies. To be extra careful, hire a reliable tour company to take you on an off-road adventure.
There are also several desert resorts located outside Dubai City.
Around the Emirate at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Dubai
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Dubai From 789 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save in Dubai: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $120+/Nt Save with Expedia, $50/night less
- Visit Dubai for Less: Hotels Fr $94+/Nt Travelocity
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Dubai Fr $1353 Expedia
- Journey to Middle East on the MSC Lirica (MSC Cruises)! Fr $649 Expedia