- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Covering an area of 886,037 square km (342,100 square miles), which includes the islands of Mafia, Pemba, and Zanzibar, Tanzania is about twice the size of the state of California. It's bordered by the Indian Ocean in the east, Kenya to the north, and Mozambique to the south. The country is home to some of the most coveted tourist destinations in the world: Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Zanzibar, Lakes Victoria, Tanganyika, and Malawi, and Mt. Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest freestanding mountain. Tourism doesn't come cheap, but you'll be rewarded with spectacular views, legions of game, and unique marine experiences. It also boasts more than 1,130 bird species. Traveling distances are vast, so be prepared for lots of trips in different-size planes, or bite the bullet and face the notoriously bad potholes and seriously bumpy surfaces of dirt roads.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's