- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Changu Island (Prison Island)
Changu Island (Prison Island) Review
This tiny island, just a 20-minute boat ride from Stone Town, was once a prison and a quarantine location. Now it's a tropical paradise that's home to the giant Aldabra tortoise (you can visit the tortoises for a small fee), the duiker antelope, and a variety of birds and butterflies. There's also decent swimming and snorkeling, and a hotel and restaurant. Note that 70% of the island is private property and thus inaccessible. You can visit Changu Island on a tour, or arrange transport with a fisherman on the beach outside Archipelago's for a much cheaper price. There's no entry fee for the island itself.
- Address: 5.6 km (3.5 miles) north-west of the main island of Zanzibar, Zanzibar
- Cost: US$4 for tortoise visit
- Location: Zanzibar
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In June of 2013 Ian from the office had the pleasure to stay with Nicolas and Fabia at their lodge near Lake Manyara in northern Tanzania – Chem Chem.
Why stay here: A great base to explore both Read more
From December 27th to January 7th my wife and I and our two grandchildren (ages 10 and 13) were on safari in Tanzania with Proud African Safaris. Read more
I'm planning a solo, private safari to Kenya and Tanzania in September, 2015. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more