- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arusha could be any small town in sub-Saharan Africa—dusty, crowded, and forgettable. A couple of pleasant features do distinguish it, however: potted plants line the potholed streets (put there by the plant nurseries just behind the sidewalks), and on a clear day, you can see Mt. Meru, Africa's fifth highest mountain at 4,556 meters (14,947 feet), looming in the distance.
The town is bisected by the Nauru River. The more modern part is to the east of the river where most of the hotels, safari companies, and banks are located; west of the river is where the bus station and main market are. Most people spend an overnight here either coming or going.
Arusha at a Glance
Elsewhere in Tanzania
- Arusha National Park
- Dar es Salaam
- Gombe Stream and Mahale Mountains National Parks
- Lake Manyara National Park
- Mount Kilimanjaro
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's