Size 1,221,037 square km (471,442 square mi)
Number of National Parks 21
Number of Private Game and Nature Reserves Dozens in each state
Population Approximately 47.9 million
Big Five Lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants, and Cape buffalo
Language 11 official languages: Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, North and South Sotho, Swati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa, and Zulu. English is widely spoken.
Time SAST (South African Standard Time), seven hours ahead of North American Eastern Standard Time.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's