- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- wonderful views of the ocean
- old-world service excellence and attention to detail
- you'll need a tony wardrobe to blend in
- not a super-relaxed environment
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
The Marine Review
In an incomparable cliff-top setting, this venerable hotel has sumptuously decorated rooms. The decor is a tad conventional. There are four-poster beds, and the creams and beiges with touches of blue and white give the hotel a very refined, gentrified air. But the sea-facing rooms, some with private balcony and all with underfloor heating, provide whale-watchers with grandstand views over Walker Bay. The Sun Lounge feels a whole lot more contemporary than the hotel, and you can linger over tea or drinks, and the two restaurants tempt with sophisticated menus. The Pavilion ($$$$), with wonderful views of Walker Bay, serves up-to-the-minute fare. Smoked snoek, calamari, prawn, and herb ravioli is a delicious first course, as is the potato gnocchi with wild mushrooms, cured ham, and celeriac velouté. Mains include roast rack of Karoo lamb with forest-mushroom mille-feuille, roasted beetroot, and lamb jus. Desserts are stunning, making many diners wish they'd left room for more. Make time to visit the hotel's wine cellar, as it specializes in wines from the Walker Bay region.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more