- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This estate may date back to 1682, but it's been brought thoroughly up-to-date with a state-of-the art winery and underground vaulted maturation rooms. The estate is known for red wine, particularly its 100% cabernet Peter Barlow (named after the present owner's father), which is made from grapes from one lovely, well-tended vineyard. The Five Soldiers Chardonnay is delicious and also made from a single vineyard, which gives it its unique character. It's named for the five tall pine trees that stand guard on top of the hill above the chardonnay grapes. The farm's second label, Brampton, also makes excellent wines. The 2004 and 2006 cabernet sauvignon have won awards, but both are sold out, so scoop up some of the 2007 while it's still available and put it down for a couple of years. The 2007 Shiraz is also wonderful. The farm uses screw caps for quality and environmental reasons.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Mandela Rhodes Place in Jun: $93 & Up Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Save at 4-Star Protea Victoria Junction: $101 & Up in Jun Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Cape Town Central Fr $1998 Expedia
- 10 Nt Cruise on Sale: See Cape Town Central Fr $1,029 Expedia
- Book Hilton Cape Town City Centre in Jun: Save 25% off — $110 Save with Expedia, $36/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's ... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more