- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Die Braak Review
Some of Stellenbosch's most historic buildings face the Braak, the grassy town square, which is a national monument. St. Mary's Church stands at the far end of the Braak. Built in 1852 as an Anglican church, it reflects the growing influence of the English in Stellenbosch. Across Bloem Street from St. Mary's is the Burgher House, built in 1797. Today it houses the offices of Historical Homes in South Africa.
At the southern end of the square is the Rhenish Mission Church, erected by the Missionary Society of Stellenbosch in 1823 as a training school for slaves and blacks. Bloem St., 7600.
- Address: Bordered by Bloem, Alexander, and Bird Sts., Stellenbosch, 7600
- Location: Stellenbosch
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
Thinking of going to South Africa in September.. Would appreciate your comments on this itinerary. It's through Citiescapes but the agent in SA is IKapa tours.
DAY 1 :
Fly from Dublin to Johannesburg Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more