- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
The setting on a golf estate and wine farm is pretty, but it's the excellent food and service that really stand out here. Chef Michael Broughton does his best to honor the concept of terroir (from the French terre for "earth") and get as many ingredients from the surrounding area as possible. The menu changes regularly to make use of the fresh produce. Earthy and nutty cèpe mushrooms lightly fried in butter, garlic, and parsley make great starters. Main courses might include braised pork belly with ginger, juniper, and soy on smoked mash with braising juices and cabbage purée, or the duck-confit pancake with fig jam. Try the pear and Frangelica crème brûlée for dessert. There's a jungle gym for small foodies but, interestingly, no separate menu. Though the wine list is small, you can sample several different (and delicious) wines by the glass. Try the barrel-fermented chenin blanc, one of the estate's best-kept secrets. To avoid disappointment, be sure to book well in advance.
- Address: Kleine Zalze Residential Golf Estate, Strand Rd. (R44), between Somerset West and Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, 7600
- Phone: 021/880–8167
- Website: www.kleinezalze.com
- Location: Stellenbosch
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed June 29–July 17. No dinner Sun.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
Thinking of going to South Africa in September.. Would appreciate your comments on this itinerary. It's through Citiescapes but the agent in SA is IKapa tours.
DAY 1 :
Fly from Dublin to Johannesburg Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more