- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Morgenhof Wine Estate
Morgenhof Wine Estate Review
This beautiful Cape Dutch estate, with a history stretching back 300 years, lies in the lee of a steep hill covered with vines and pine trees. In 1993 Morgenhof was acquired by Anne Cointreau of Cognac, France, who spared no expense in making this a showpiece estate with a lovely rose garden on top of the working underground cellar. The estate has a talented winemaker, Jacques Cilliers, and some distinguished wines. Try the chardonnay with a fresh coconut nose and hints of lime, or the smoky, somewhat Burgundian Pinotage. The estate's flagship wine is the wonderful Premiére Sélection, a Bordeaux blend. Morgenhof is an excellent place to stop for a simple lunch of homemade soup and freshly baked bread. Reservations are advisable in summer.
- Address: R44, between Paarl and Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, 7599
- Phone: 021/889–5510
- Cost: Informal tastings R10, formal tastings R25
- Hours: May–Oct., weekdays 9–4:30, weekends 10–3; Nov.–Apr., weekdays 9–5:30, weekends 10–5; cellar tours by appointment.
- Website: www.morgenhof.com
- Location: Stellenbosch
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
Thinking of going to South Africa in September.. Would appreciate your comments on this itinerary. It's through Citiescapes but the agent in SA is IKapa tours.
DAY 1 :
Fly from Dublin to Johannesburg Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more