- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sandown Bay Review
About 10 km (6 mi) of sandy beach fringes the impressive Sandown Bay, at the eastern edge of town. Much of the beach is nothing more than a sandbar, separating the Atlantic from the huge lagoon formed by the Bot River. Swift currents make swimming risky, although there is a sheltered corner near the rocks close to the old Beach House hotel, which burned down a few years ago. Keep an eye out for the famous Bot River horses that live on vlei (pronounced flay), or marsh. There are lots of theories about just how the horses got here. One has it that they were turned loose during the Boer War to save them from being killed and ended up on the vlei for safety. DNA tests show that these horses are descendants of the Kaapse Waperd (Cape wagon horse), a sturdy breed used to help settle the wild regions of the Overberg.
- Location: Kleinmond
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cape Town Central Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- Cape Town Central 5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2344 Expedia
- Explore The Caribbean with Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
The Grace Hotel in Rosebank, which has been one of the best places to stay in Johannesburg for many years, will close this month. Read more
· News & Features
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more