- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sitting in a sea of vines is this estate with tremendous views back toward Stellenbosch and the mountains. Simonsig has more than a dozen white and red wines of impressive range, both in terms of taste and price. But quantity certainly doesn't mean that it has compromised on quality. This family-run farm produces exciting and consistent wines. Kaapse Vonkel was South Africa's first Méthode Cap Classique, and since 1971 this classic blend of chardonnay, pinot noir, and a touch of pinot meunier has been among the best. The 2003 Tiara is a great Bordeaux blend. The Pinotage demonstrates how well this varietal fares with no wood aging, but the Red Hill Pinotage, from old bush vines, shows just how much good oaking can improve it. This is a great place for kids. You can bring your own picnic to enjoy at tables by the small playground, there's a maze that takes about 10 minutes to walk through, and it has a small vineyard of all the grape varietals where you can see which grape is used for the different wines and taste grapes directly from the vine. The glam Cuvee restaurant, with its dark walls and Persian carpets, has a seasonal menu of South African dishes with French influences.
- Address: Kromme Rhee Rd., Koelenhof, 7605
- Phone: 021/888-4900
- Cost: Tastings R25 for 5 wines
- Hours: Weekdays 8--5, Sat. 8:30--4; cellar tours weekdays at 10 and 3, Sat. at 10; restaurant open Tues.--Sun. 11--3, Fri. and Sat. 7--10
- Website: www.simonsig.co.za
- Location: Stellenbosch
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more