The Western Cape Sights


Oude Drostdy Museum

Oude Drostdy Museum Review

Just 3 km (2 mi) out of town, set on high ground commensurate with its status, is the majestic Oude Drostdy Museum. Built by architect Louis Thibault in 1804, the structure was badly damaged by fire in 1934 and later by the 1969 quake, but it has been carefully restored and is a fine example of neoclassical architecture. The building now houses an impressive collection of antique furniture and artifacts. Look for the gramophone collection and the Dutch grandfather clock that has a picture of Amsterdam harbor painted on its face. As the original magistrate's house, the Drostdy had a cellar that served as the local jail; it's now used for wine tastings and sales.

    Contact Information

  • Address: 4 Church St., Tulbagh, 6820 | Map It
  • Phone: 023/230–0203
  • Cost: Museum R10 including wine tasting
  • Hours: Weekdays 10–5, Sat. 10–2
  • Location: Tulbagh

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property


· Map of Oude Drostdy Museum

Map of

Travel Deals