- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Haute Cabrière Review
Try to reserve a window table for views across the vine-clad valley at this restaurant atop a working winery built into the mountainside. The mix-and-match menu is intended to complement the estate wines maturing in the cellar beneath you. You can opt for half or full portions of renowned chef Matthew Gordon's mouthwatering seasonal fare. Selections might include prawn risotto with seared wild Alaskan scallop, or quail with an onion, pear, and saffron chutney served with brioche toast. Then there's the warm pork-belly terrine with rooibos (bush tea) glaze, parsnip mash, pickled red cabbage and crackling. If you don't like the pressure of choosing, you could opt for the chef's recommended tasting menu—four delicious courses for R275.
- Address: Franschhoek Pass Rd. (R45), Franschhoek, 7690
- Phone: 021/876-3688
- Location: Franschhoek
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Livingstone's Southern Africa with River Cruise IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) IExplore
- Zambia & Botswana Flying Safari — $8,795 IExplore
- Livingstone's Southern Africa with River Cruise — $7,395 IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
To my utter delight, I will be returning to South AFrica in early OCtober for a trip that will begin with a week in CapeTown. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more