- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Past De Hoop Nature Reserve on the dirt road from Bredasdorp is the small hamlet of Malgas, a major port in the 19th century before the mouth of the Breede River silted up. In addition to a tiny village, you will find the last hand-drawn car ferry in the country (R30 round-trip). It's fascinating to watch the technique, as the ferry operators "walk" the ferry across the river on a huge cable, leaning into their harnesses.
- Location: Bredasdorp
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cape Town Central Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1752 Expedia
- Explore The Caribbean with Royal Caribbean International Fr $709 Expedia
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
Single older guy, I am flying to Joberg, renting a car there and driving to Kruger. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic ... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more