- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Translated from Afrikaans, Allesverloren means "all is lost." The bleak name derives from a story from the early 1700s, when the widow Cloete owned this farm. Legend has it that she left the farm for a few weeks to attend a church gathering in town, and in her absence the resentful indigenous tribespeople set her homestead alight. When she came back to a smoldering ruin, she declared, "Allesverloren," and the name stuck. Today the farm's prospects are a lot brighter. It has been in the Malan family for generations. The infamous D. F. Malan, regarded as one of the architects of apartheid, gave up the farm for politics. Happily, his descendents are doing a better job at wine making than he did at shaping a country's destiny, and their reds are big, bold, and full of flavor. Delicious and packed with rich, pruney, nutty flavors, the port is perfect for cool winter evenings. A restaurant on the premises means you can dine in a beautiful setting.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 & Up: Mandela Rhodes Place 4-Star Hotel in Cape Town Central Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Cape Town Central this May Fr $113+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1752 Expedia
- Explore The Caribbean with Royal Caribbean International Fr $709 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cape Town Central Fr $161+/Nt — $161 Save with Expedia, $28/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
Single older guy, I am flying to Joberg, renting a car there and driving to Kruger. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic ... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more