- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In one of the village's original stone-and-clay fisherfolk cottages, the cozy Burgundy is one of Hermanus's oldest and best-loved restaurants. Not surprisingly, there's plenty of fish to be had on the extensive menu, from prawns and line fish to the specialty of the area—abalone, also known as perlemoen. The jury is out about just how tasty abalone is by itself, so it's usually served minced and highly flavored with other ingredients. Start with the delicate, delicious abalone with creamy mushrooms before you move on to succulent tiger prawns or the fantastically fresh line fish served with lemon risotto, seasonal vegetables, and a lemon-dill sauce. The menu also includes a large choice of meat dishes, ranging from duck to venison, and a good vegetarian selection—something of a novelty in smaller towns. A creamy theme seems to run through the impressive dessert menu. The tiramisu is delicious, and you can even pretend it's good for you, as the menu describes it as "a nourishing dish to be eaten when feeling low."
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- 5-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2126 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Save at 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge: $107 & Up in May — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more