- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Lady Phillips Restaurant
Lady Phillips Restaurant Review
In summer you need to reserve a table three weeks in advance at this idyllic country restaurant on the Vergelegen Estate. In pleasant weather ask for a table on the terrace, shaded by liquidambar trees. Consider starting with kudu carpaccio marinated in teriyaki sauce and served with a mustard-and-rosemary vinaigrette before moving on to homemade smoked-salmon pasta. The delicious lemon-thyme-marinated lamb rump is served with potatoes gratin and baby vegetables in season. Of the wide dessert selection, sticky-date-and-macadamia-nut pudding with cream and maple sauce is noteworthy, calorie-packed, and hugely delicious. If you can't get a reservation, head to the estate's Rose Terrace during summer for light meals or a picnic underneath the camphor trees (around R165).
- Address: Vergelegen Estate, Lourensford Rd., Somerset West, 7130
- Phone: 021/847–1346
- Location: Somerset West (Helderberg)
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- No dinner.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
Thinking of going to South Africa in September.. Would appreciate your comments on this itinerary. It's through Citiescapes but the agent in SA is IKapa tours.
DAY 1 :
Fly from Dublin to Johannesburg Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more