- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Lady Phillips Restaurant
Lady Phillips Restaurant Review
In summer you need to reserve a table three weeks in advance at this idyllic country restaurant on the Vergelegen Estate. In pleasant weather ask for a table on the terrace, shaded by liquidambar trees. Consider starting with kudu carpaccio marinated in teriyaki sauce and served with a mustard-and-rosemary vinaigrette before moving on to homemade smoked-salmon pasta. The delicious lemon-thyme-marinated lamb rump is served with potatoes gratin and baby vegetables in season. Of the wide dessert selection, sticky-date-and-macadamia-nut pudding with cream and maple sauce is noteworthy, calorie-packed, and hugely delicious. If you can't get a reservation, head to the estate's Rose Terrace during summer for light meals or a picnic underneath the camphor trees (around R165).
- Address: Vergelegen Estate, Lourensford Rd., Somerset West, 7130
- Phone: 021/847–1346
- Location: Somerset West (Helderberg)
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- No dinner.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
We've been on a couple of safaris, but not yet to the Kruger area. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more