- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Whale-watching and Shark Diving
Although Hermanus is great for land-based whale-watching, you get a different perspective on a boat trip into Walker Bay. Boats leave on 2½-hour whale-watching trips (around R900) from both Hermanus and Gansbaai. Dyer Island Cruises is a good bet for whale-watching. 082/801-8014. www.dyer-island-cruises.co.za.
Shark diving is extremely popular (even Brad Pitt took the plunge), and Gansbaai has a number of operators working from the small harbor, including White Shark Diving Company. A 4½-hour trip (with plenty of adrenaline) costs around R1,000, including breakfast and snacks on the boat. If you don't want to take the plunge (which you do in a cage, to keep you safe from the sharks), you can just stay in the boat and watch the sharks from the deck. 082/559–6858.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's