- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
La Plume Guest House
At a Glance
- beautiful views of the valley from the patio
- spacious bedrooms and en suite bathrooms
- terrific attention to detail (candles in bathrooms, sprigs of lavender on the pillow, etc.)
- a 10-minute drive out of town
- no room phones
La Plume Guest House Review
This stylish guesthouse is set on a working ostrich farm on the Calitzdorp side of Oudtshoorn. The rooms are all individually decorated with beautiful antiques, and all of the bathrooms have Victorian claw-foot tubs. Guests meet for predinner drinks in the elegant lounge or on the veranda overlooking the valley. If you're keen on seeing what ostrich farming is all about, you can do an informal and informative tour with the owner of the farm—so much better than all the hype you'd get at the show farms. The turnoff to the farm is 7 km (4 mi) west of Oudtshoorn and is well marked from the R62.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Thinking of visiting Cape Town and Kruger. Read more
I'm planning on visiting Cape Town and Kruger National Park in November.
Would appreciate any input about weather (temp, humidity, rain) , animal viewing at this time and crowds.
Thanks . Read more
I am planning a honeymoon to SA, flying into Capetown from the US end of May. Read more
· News & Features
There's something wonderfully comforting about an old-school ski resort.... Read more
Arts and culture are celebrated as much as the world-class beaches in St.... Read more
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring... Read more