- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- friendly owner and manager
- antiques and artwork
- bathrooms need upgrading
- short on creature comforts
About 16 km (10 mi) outside George, this historic farm sits on a grassy hill with panoramic views of the Outeniqua Mountains and the Indian Ocean. The public rooms are filled with antiques, heirlooms, and some impressive art. Accommodations are in two sections, a building dating from 1760 and a newer one built in 1820. The buildings are full of character and have many lovely old pieces of furniture, but the bathrooms need updating, and some of the rooms are a little musty. Try to get the 1820 Suite, which is roomier than the others. The service is laid-back and friendly, so staying here is more like visiting distant relatives in the country than lodging at a hotel. The owner/manager Colin Bryan is more than happy to discuss the building's history and the antiques that have been collected over the years. Most guests choose to stay for a home-cooked five-course dinner ($$$$), hosted by Bryan and served on fine porcelain at a communal table in the dining room (the price includes wine and after-dinner port or brandy). Nonguests may dine here if there's room but must reserve at least a day in advance.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town & Namibia IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa Experience — $4,149 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
To my utter delight, I will be returning to South AFrica in early OCtober for a trip that will begin with a week in CapeTown. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side, ... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more